Goldhawk Associates are currently working to support a Top 20 firm in the Kent area who are looking to appoint a part-qualified or newly qualified accountant preferably with previous experience of working within practice. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a niche area of the firm that operates in a dynamic environment and will involve working closely with their clients, understanding their businesses with the purpose of providing R&D advisory services to their clients to enable them where appropriate to apply for R&D tax relief. They are looking for someone who has previous experience of working with SME clients, with knowledge and understanding of accounting processes and taxation issues, specifically corporation tax. Full training will be given, and you will work directly for the Manager responsible for the team who has gained experience from working in the profession as well.
This role is focused on the analysis of information and data, it is essential that you can understand company accounts and taxation issues to enable you to be able to process, prepare, interpret and analyse data and costings for inclusion in R&D tax return claims for the clients. You will need to have a keen eye for detail and provide scrutiny of the quality of client data and interpret the same in relation to HMRC’s R&D legislation and associated guidance. Working within a small team specialising in this area you will also have the opportunity to work closely with the consulting team and engage with the wider team locally and in London.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Preparation of client cost data for reports
• Reviewing and checking incoming records from
• Using client data to determine eligible costs, and calculation of the same for inclusion within the claim
• Liaising with the Consulting team to ensure that the claim reflects our understanding of the client and their operations during the claim period
• Providing critical analysis of data trends where appropriate
• Interpreting the client’s operations/functions/systems to make appropriate estimates and arriving at a suitable claim methodology (for example, considering total operating hours for a factory when preparing a claim for a manufacturer)
• Reviewing the information provided to identify any other tax saving opportunities (such as capital allowances or patent box) and coordinating the same
• Scrutinising the quality of information provided and raising appropriate queries. Making decisions/assumptions where needed. Communicating this with the client, with colleagues, and on file for review
• Maintaining the working file to ensure all information, calculation, communications, and notes pertinent to the claim are recorded
• Presenting the file for review and updating for any review points as required
• Monitor queries and ensure responses are received. Manage changes & amendments as required
• Update client report with figures for claim
• Update CRM with figures for claim and fee information
• Liaise with consulting team to prioritise work/clients as needed depending on client’s requirements, billing needs, or other business need
Quality Control will play a key part of the role, it is essential that you ensure, information received from clients is accurate and complete, working to high standards, and ensure consistent and accurate systems and controls meet with internal standards and expectations. You will engage with clients regularly, gaining the relevant data needed, providing detailed analysis and data as required. This will include regular client meetings and engagement, working closely with clients, providing detailed information about costings.
supporting them through the process of how to claim for R&D relief in their corporate tax returns and reviewing corporate tax returns before submission.
It is key that you can work independently as well as part of a team. You will have the opportunity to develop and will be fully trained and supported, in turn, you will also provide support and guidance to more junior members of the team. You will be collaborative and attend weekly team meetings and engage with planning workflows, managing priorities and deadlines, costings and discuss work processes, changes in legislation, etc on matters impacting the team.
You will be encouraged in areas of professional development such as studying towards a formal accounting or tax qualification such as ATT, CTA, etc. if you do not already hold these qualifications.
Unfortunately, due to the high number of applications currently being received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Goldhawk Associates are supporting a regional Firm of Accountants who are looking to appoint a Practice Accountant/Portfolio Manager to their...Apply For This Job